How to Jump Start a Car
If your vehicle won’t start, you likely need to jump start your car battery. Follow this guide to learn how to properly jump start a car without causing any damage to your vehicle. If it is time for a new car battery, head over to Fisher Acura, and we’ll get you back on the road in no time.
The Proper Way to Jump Start a Car
Before you get started, you will need to find a set of jumper cables as well as another driver that is willing to help you. You can also call a jump start car service like AAA if you are not able to locate another vehicle. Once you’re ready, simply follow the steps listed below:
- Have the car with the good battery park facing the other vehicle. That vehicle should not be running. Ensure that both parking brakes are engaged.
- Open both hoods and find the batteries. Some vehicles require you to remove a plastic hood to get to the battery terminals.
- Identify the positive and negative terminals. It is important that they are clean and corrosion-free.
- Connect the red clamp to the positive post on the dead battery.
- Attach the other red clamp to the positive terminal of the battery with the charge after uncoiling the cable.
- Connect the black clamp to the negative post on the good battery.
- The last clamp should be attached to an unpainted metal surface on the car’s frame.
- If all of the components are secure, start the engine of the vehicle with the good battery first, then the one with the dead battery.
- Once the dead vehicle has been jump-started, carefully remove the jumper cables in the reverse order that they were placed on, then shut off the car that was used to help jump-start the dead car.
- To prevent the newly-charged battery from dying again, the engine should stay running for at least 10 minutes. Be sure to take a look at your owner’s manual to see if the manufacturer has different recommendations.
Additional Battery Tips and Tricks
If jump starting your car is unsuccessful, the battery may need to be replaced. However, this could also be a sign of a more extensive problem. The steps below can assist you in troubleshooting the issue:
- Do you notice a clicking sound when you attempt to start your vehicle? If so, this could mean that the starter is malfunctioning, and you will need to set up a service appointment at Fisher Acura.
- If the electrical systems of the car turn on, but the engine will not, there are several possible culprits. Problems can range from the ignition switch to the battery, starter or fuses. A technician at the Fisher Acura service center can help to diagnose the problem.
- Be sure to keep your vehicle running for a while after getting the jump. When the battery is drained, it will need time to recharge.
Depend on Fisher Acura for Quality Auto Service
Whether you need help with a new battery, a locked steering wheel, or an oil change, you can rely on the technicians at the Fisher Acura service center. Stop by today or contact us at your convenience. While you’re here, check out our guide on how to interpret the icons on your tire pressure monitor or does Acura take premium gas.
More From Fisher Acura
There’s a lot to consider when shopping for a luxury SUV. While you surely want a model that can deliver a striking performance and fuel economy, there are many other ways an SUV can transform your ride. With the 2020 Acura MDX interior features, you’ll enjoy a spacious and comfortable high-end interior that perfectly balances…
Drivers who want a powerful and reliable SUV for their Boulder commute can continue to enjoy premium interior features while having the strength to tackle tough tasks with the 2020 Acura MDX. This luxury SUV displays incredible performance specs along with a slew of safety and towing features to secure and protect your cargo on…
If you’re looking for a luxury sedan that can also deliver a dependable ride through Boulder, then the newly updated 2020 Acura TLX performance specs are sure to impress. From its engine configurations to its advanced safety and performance features, drivers can have peace of mind with this trusted Acura sedan. Read on to learn…