Car Bumper Repair Tips
If you are involved in a minor collision on the Boulder roadways, you may be wondering about how to get a dent out of a car bumper or how to remove scratches from a car bumper. Fortunately, Fisher Acura has the information you need for your next car bumper repair task. You can also leave this service to the professionals at Fisher Acura.
How to Get a Dent Out of a Car Bumper
There are several dent removal methods you can try at home.
- Remove a dent using a hair dryer: For this method, you will need the following items – aluminum foil, rubber-coated gloves, a hair dryer, a can of compressed air, and a package of dry ice. Heat the dent using the hair dryer, but be sure to keep the hair dryer at least six inches away from the vehicle. Use a piece of aluminum foil to cover the dent. Put on the rubber-coated gloves to prevent injuries to your hands. Rub the dry ice over the foil on the dent. If you prefer, you can use the liquified compressed air to cool the dent. Within approximately a minute, the dent should pop out because of the difference in temperature.
- Remove a dent with boiling water: This method can be used if your bumper is made of plastic. You will need to boil a pot of water, then dump the water over the dent. Pop the dent out by reaching behind the bumper. If you are unable to reach the dent, you may need to remove the bumper. To cool and repair the plastic area, pour cool water on the bumper.
- Remove a dent with a vacuum and a bucket: Cut a small hole in the bucket and use the upper part of the bucket to cover the dent. Put the tube of the vacuum over the hole in the bucket and start the vacuum. Keep it running until the dent pops out.
- Remove a dent with a plunger: Pour water over both the plunger and the dent, then start pushing the plunger up and down. Do this until the dent pops out.
How to Remove Scratches from a Car Bumper
- Gather the supplies you need (factory quality spray paint, spray primer for cars, clear coat spray, fine and coarse sandpaper, microfiber towel, grease/wax remover, putty, and safety gear).
- Clean the bumper.
- Isolate the area. A good way to do this is by sticking masking tape around the area you are repairing.
- Sand the area. If it is a smaller scratch, use 400 to 800-grit sandpaper. If you have a bigger scratch, use 100 to 200-grit sandpaper. Sand the area until the scratches are smoothed out.
- Fill the scratches with putty if necessary. Sand the area with 180-grit sandpaper and clean away any debris.
- Prime the surface with three coats of primer.
- Use 400-grit sandpaper to sand the area when the primer is dry.
- Use spray paint and evenly coat the area. Let each coat dry fifteen minutes. Apply two coats of clear coat, and allow each coat to dry for fifteen minutes.
Turn to the Team at Fisher Acura
If you are uncomfortable with DIY maintenance and do not want to fix car bumper issues on your own, you can turn to the experts at Fisher Acura. Contact us for more information on how to clean car seats and so much more. The car bumper repair cost can be even more affordable than you may think.