How to Replace a Brake Light
It’s more than an inconvenience when you’re driving home from the Pearl Street Mall and a brake light goes out on your Acura TLX. It can lead to traffic stops or worse, a collision on dark roads in the Denver area. When you know how to replace a brake light on your Acura, you don’t have to worry about scheduling an appointment or paying a technician to accomplish this easy task. Let Fisher Acura show you how to replace a brake light.
How to Replace a Brake Light: Step by Step
When you replace a brake light in your Acura, it helps to be prepared in Aurora. Here’s how:
- Locate the correct bulbs: Before your brake light bulb dies, purchase back-up bulbs. Check your owner’s manual to find out the correct bulb size and voltage for your specific Acura model and then contact our parts department. They’ll have the bulb ready to pick up at your convenience.
- Prepare Taillight Area: Start by removing any interior panels that protect the taillight housing. They usually pop off with a flat-edge screwdriver exposing the colored housing.
- Remove the Faulty Tail Light Bulb: The bulb should unscrew out of the housing fairly easily. If it is stuck, be careful not to grip too hard and break the bulb. Use lubricant to ease the difficult bulb out of its seated spot if necessary.
- Replace the Brake Light Bulb: As you install the new brake light bulb, apply a bit of dielectric grease to the end to prevent corrosion and make life easier when it’s time to replace a bulb again. Install the new bulb, ensuring it seats tightly in its housing. Reattach all the interior cover panels.
- Check Bulb is Operating Correctly: Have a friend or family member help you, or if you are alone, slowly back the vehicle up to your garage door or a wall and lightly hit the brakes. You should see the reflection of the brake light as it lights up.
Replace a Brake Light and More with Fisher Acura
Now that you know how to replace a brake light, learn more DIY car care tips for your Acura with Fisher Acura. For easy car maintenance, there’s no need to drive from Broomfield to Boulder when you know the basics of car care and can do these simple tasks quickly from home.